Monday, June 18, 2012

So left or right kidney?

Just talked to the surgeon for the coming transplant today. Dr Tiong HY. He seems like a really nice guy and I think i once worked with him before in Mot a few years back.
He was showing me my ct angiogram scans and analyzing which kidney is more suitable for donation. As usual, being quite an abnormal person, my kidneys are also quite abnormal. Let tok about the normal case. For kidneys donor, the surgeons usually remove the left kidneys as the blood vessels attaching to the kidneys from the main blood vessels are longer. And usually there will only be 1 artery 1 vein and 1 ureter connecting to the kidney. A straightforward case like this, the surgeons will be able to perform a laparoscopic method of extracting the kidney making the recovery time to be faster n of course, less pain. And in my abnormal case, my left kidneys have 3 or more bld vessels attached to it. This means that there will be more anastomosis work to be done by the surgeon and making the surgery more complicated. Another option is to use my right kidney which is more normal, but due to the bld vessels being shorter n closer to the main vessels, they can only perform a open surgery to remove the kidney, in the process they also need to remove my 12th right rib.
Sigh, why my body seems to have extra stuff in it? Can't it be more normal? Dr tiong said he need more time and discussion with the radiographers before he can decide on which kidney. I really hope that the laparoscopic way can work out, cos I have super low pain tolerance. Now I can only wait for the verdict to be out...

Ps: a pic of me n my 2 baobeis to cheer me up;)

No comments:

Post a Comment